The formatting settings of the language environment determine
- the number format (decimal and thousand separators)
- , the date format (separators and order)
- , and the time format (24 hour or 12 hour format)
for formatted outputs.
The formatting settings are set as follows:
- At the beginning of an internal mode they are determined by the related default settings in the fixed values in the user master record of the current user.
- Using the
SET COUNTRYstatement, this default setting for the current internal mode can be overwritten using country-specific formats.
The formatting settings affect the following ABAP language elements:
- Assignments with the statement
- Outputs in lists with the statement
- Specification of the parameter
environmentfor the formatting options
TIMESTAMPfor embedded expressions in character string templates.
The formatting setting set in the user master record also affect the preparation of number, date, and time entries on the screens of Dynpros.
Handling Invalid Values
Preparing the content of data object of the types
t normally takes place independently from their content.
Invalid values are also compiled as date
or time entries. For time outputs in the 12 hour format, the separators are inserted at the respective points for invalid values and the output of the AM/am or PM/pm abbreviation is undefined for the following exception.
Dynpros do not support any invalid values in the time fields with the 24 hour format with the exception
of the value "24:00:00". This value is stored there as "240000" when copying to an ABAP field of type
t. To be able to support this value also in the time fields with the 12 hours format, it is prepared as "24:00:00 PM/pm".
The class CL_ABAP_TIMEFM contains a help method for dealing with time formats.