ABAP Keyword Documentation → ABAP - Reference → Data Interfaces and Communication Interfaces → Remote Function Call → RFC Overview
The RFC protocol describes how data is passed to the RFC interface and back. basXML is available as a unified format for all types of pass by parameter. To use basXML, you have to specify it in both transaction SM59 and in the transmission protocol for the destination and explicitly when creating an RFM.
If one of these two prerequisites is not met, for example, for communication with systems in earlier releases (where basXML was not yet available), the RFC protocol is selected implicitly depending on the parameter type:
- An internal binary format is used for flat parameters as well as when using
- An XML format known as xRFC is used for deep parameters.
Other versions: 7.31 | 7.40 | 7.54
- For consistency reasons, the use of basXML is recommended as an RFC protocol for all types of parameter passes.
- Regarding performance, basXML is situated somewhere between the quicker binary format and the slower xRFC. This is expected to change in the future.
- The binary format should therefore only be used for RFMs with critical performance requirements.
For more information about the RFC protocol and destinations, see the SAP Library under:
- Special Options