ABAP Keyword Documentation → ABAP - Reference → ABAP Syntax → ABAP Statements → Operands → Functions and Expressions in Operand Positions → Operand Positions for Functions and Expressions → Reader Positions for Functions and Expressions
General Expression Positions
General expression positions are reader positions in which suitable data objects, constructor expressions, table expressions, calculation expressions, predefined functions, or functional methods and method chainings can be specified. The following general expression positions exist:
- Right side of an assignment with the assignment operator
- Operands of arithmetic expressions and of bit expressions,
- Operands of comparison expressions in logical expressions
- Operand of the statement
- Actual parameters for input parameters of methods in meth( ...
CREATE OBJECT, and
THROWin a conditional expression.
- Actual parameters for input parameters of function
modules in the case of
- Arguments of predefined numeric functions if they are themselves executed in an arithmetic expression.
- The operands behind the addition
WITH TABLE KEYof the statements
READ TABLE itaband
DELETE TABLE itab.
- The operands behind the addition WITH
KEY of the statement
READ TABLE itab.
- Work area
waof the statements
expfor dynamic sorts in the case of
- Source fields of the statements
WRITE TO, with the restriction that arithmetic expressions and bit expressions cannot be specified directly, only as embedded expressions in string templates.
The type restrictions defined by the operand type apply in the operand positions. For example, no numeric functions can be specified in a bit expression.
Other versions: 7.31 | 7.40 | 7.54
- Specifying functional methods as actual parameters of methods enables the nesting of method calls in an operand position.
- The three types of calculation expression can be executed as operands of relational expressions, but they cannot be mixed in one calculation expression.