ABAP and SAP HANA
- AS ABAP can access the SAP HANA database of a standalone SAP HANA appliance (combined hardware and software system) using a secondary connection and, for example, ADBC. Various tools and accelerators are available for replicating data from the database of an AS ABAP to the SAP HANA database, to enable high-performance analyses.
- Furthermore, an SAP HANA database can be implemented as the standard AS ABAP database. The database tables and other AS ABAP objects managed in ABAP Dictionary are then saved in the ABAP database schema. Database tables of this type can be accessed using ABAP SQL, Native SQL or AMDP With respect to ABAP programs, SAP HANA databases behave in this case in the same way as a regular relational database. All HANA-specific functions are wrapped by the database interface and access is optimized to the greatest extent possible. It also enables access to the special database objects SAP HANA views and database procedures written in SQL Script.
To exploit the in-memory properties of the SAP HANA database in an optimum way, however, application logic must be passed in a suitable form from AS ABAP to the SAP HANA database. This can be done, for example, using suitably programmed joins or by using SQL expressions in ABAP SQL or in ABAP CDS. If the anchor methods in ABAP SQL or ABAP CDS are not enough, parts of the application logic must be programmed separately under SAP HANA XS in a tool such as SAP Web IDE for SAP HANA. The following methods are available, with the most complex listed first:
- Attribute views - Selected columns of joins between tables. Attribute views are created in a graphical tool and transformed internally to SQL.
- Analytic views - A combination of table data and aggregated data from one or more tables. Analytic views are created in a graphical tool and transformed internally to SQL.
- Calculation views - A combination of table data or data from other views in which complex conditions and calculations are possible. Calculation views are either created in a graphical tool and transformed internally to SQLScript or can be programmed using SQLScript.
- As ABAP Managed Database Procedures in special methods of ABAP classes
- Programming of dedicated database procedures in L. This programming is only allowed internally at SAP and not for customers and partners.
The SAP HANA XS framework is available for development of HANA objects. Here, the current SAP HANA XSA must be distinguished from its predecessor, SAP HANA XSC. The XSC objects are intended for migration to XSA.
The following sections show specific methods that can be used when accessing objects of the SAP HANA database from ABAP programs:
Alongside these methods, Native SQL methods can be used to access all accessible objects in the SAP HANA database.
7.31 | 7.40 | 7.54
SAP HANA views cannot be created using Native SQL, since the description language is XML-based, not SQL-based.