ABAP Keyword Documentation → ABAP - Dictionary → Classic Objects in ABAP Dictionary → Data Types
A structure in ABAP Dictionary defines a structured type that contains other data types as components. These components can be:
- Elementary data types
- Reference types
- Structured types
- Table types
A structure that contains other structures as components is called a nested structure. Structure components are substructures and substructures can themselves be nested. A structure that contains a reference type or a table type as a direct or nested component is a deep structure. A structure that contains only elementary data types as direct or nested components is a flat structure. An internal program object declared with reference to a structure is a data object structured correspondingly (or structure for short).
A structure in ABAP Dictionary can be included in another structure as an include structure, with the components of the included structure being added as the components of the including structure.
Structures can be defined as form-based structures in transaction SE11 or as source-code-based structures using Dictionary DDL the ABAP Development Tools. The following section is a summary of the syntax of the source code-based definition:
7.31 | 7.40 | 7.54
- The data types of database tables and classic views are all flat (not nested) structures.
- A CDS entity (CDS view, CDS table function, or abstract CDS entity) also represents a structured type and can be used as this sort of type in ABAP programs but not in ABAP Dictionary.
- Mesh types cannot currently be defined in ABAP Dictionary.
- Customizing includes and append structures are available for making enhancements to structures in ABAP Dictionary delivered by SAP, without making modifications.
- When a dynpro field references a component
of a structure in ABAP Dictionary, it is important that the structure is declared using
TABLESto enable a data transport between the dynpro and the ABAP program; only flat structures are suitable here.
The structure SOADDRESS for the address of a SAPoffice user is a nested structure with substructures.
Technical Attributes of Structures
Semantic Attributes of Structures